Thursday, May 10, 2007

Last Wikipedia Edit for Villa Maria Academy

For my last edit to the Villa Maria Academy Wikipedia article I decided to make a minor change. I wanted to do something different than just adding more text since I already know how to do that. I looked through other Wikipedia articles to find out what other features are capable with Wikipedia. I went to the article for Malvern Preparatory School, an all male school about five minutes away from Villa Maria, to see what their Wikipedia article looks like. That article was extremely well done and I thought that Villa Maria's Wikipedia article has the potential to be that good. The first thing I saw was on the right hand side of the Malvern Prep article. It had a rectangular box that summed up key points of the high school. I thought that it made the article look more professional and I wanted Villa Maria's article to have that same feature. I went to the history portion of the Malvern Prep article and I found out how to do that. I simply copy and pasted it into the Villa Maria one and I even kept Malvern Prep's address the same at first by accident, but I quickly corrected that after.

Specifically I added:
Name Villa Maria Academy
Address 370 Old Lincoln Highway
Town Malvern, Pennsylvania, 19355
Established 1872 (at present location in 1924)
Community Suburban
Type Private (Independent)
Religion Roman Catholic
Students Female
Grades 9 through 12
Nickname Hurricanes
Colors White and Blue
Web site vmahs.org

It seems complicated, but all you need is the first line which is:
{| id="toc" style="float:right; width:220px; margin-left: 1em;"
followed by a series of these: |- and end it with this: |}

I really like this feature because you can go to this article and find quick facts right away without having to read all the text which may be quite boring. If I were to make another Wikipedia article I would definitely add this cool feature again!

No comments: