Friday, May 18, 2007

Evolution of the Villa Maria Academy article


I chose to edit the Wikipedia article for Villa Maria Academy. An article did not actually exist before I chose to edit it so I created one! I thought it would be rather hard, but it was actually just as easy as editing an already existing article. I chose this subject because this is the high school my sister and I went to. I was surprised that there was not an article for this already. I would think that the high school would have been teaching how Wikipedia works to the students and would have suggested they create a Wikipedia article for Villa Maria Academy, but that was not the case. I was eager to jump in and get this article up and running.

The first edit for Villa Maria Academy started with me creating it. Like I said, this was really easy. I started out by just explaining what the school was. Then I listed some things that the high school has to offer. Some of these aspects included music, athletics, and guidance. Then I gave some more brief information of the school. I also listed the address and phone number for VMA. I thought this was a good start because it was the basic information that I thought the article needed to get going.

For the second edit I added some information that was a little more detailed. I listed a bunch of events and activities that take place at the high school. From pep rallies to dances and other memorable and traditional events, I thought that this would be a nice addition to the article. It shows more about the high school than boring facts that you might normally see in a traditional encyclopedia.

The third edit I added the box of information that I also did for the MGIC article. I did it for this article first before I did it for the MGIC one. I got the idea from another Wikipedia article of high school that is all boys near Villa Maria Academy called Malvern Preparatory School. I thought that VMA deserved to have a similar article, so I helped it to get to that level by adding that box with the brief, quick information.

There were two main users that contributed to this article, besides me. They erased the phone number and address. They also categorized the article because I did not do that, but supposedly you are supposed to when you create an article. Also they fixed and cleaned up the article a little because I guess I was too descriptive and not as information and straight to the point as an encyclopedia edit should be. I think I did a pretty good job laying the framework for this new article. If I had more time I would expand on it to make it a great article to properly represent how much that high school means to me. Hopefully someone else will become motivated and take over the article and make it an impressive one. There is many more thing that can be added to it, so that should not be a problem. Like I said before, maybe the students will even be directed through a technology class to work on this article. I am proud that I was able to create this article. I think it is was more rewarding to create this article from scratch as opposed to editing the other already existing articles. I hope someone else finds it just as rewarding as I did as they make the article better!

No comments: