Friday, May 18, 2007

Evolution of the MGIC article


The reason I decided to edit the Wikipedia article for MGIC (Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Company) is because my dad works for this company. Although my dad does not work in an MGIC office, he is a contract underwriter for MGIC in a Sovereign Bank office. I thought it would be interesting to learn more about the company and be able to personally contribute some more useful facts and information. When I first looked up the MGIC artcile I noticed that it was not very developed so I saw that as a great opportunity to improve upon it.

For the first edit I had just heard that MGIC announced a major change in their business. I wanted to add that to the article. The change was that premiuims are now tax deductible with MGIC. This was a significant advantage of the company and I thought that it should be available for people to see in the article.

In the second edit I added information about the company history. I explained how the former real estate agent and founder, Max Karl, realized his clients would benefit from insuring only the top portion of their mortgage. I think the company history is important for any subject matter. It is always good to know how a company or product came about.

I decided to add a summary box of the corporate profile for the third edit. I really like this feature because you can look at the box real quick for some fast facts without having to read paragraphs of information. This is very useful for people who just want to know a little bit about the company and it easily directs you right to the corporate website where you can find tons of information on the company.

In the end, no one really contributed much to this article. There were a few edits before I started editing it. These of course were the start up edits and then some people added some extra information. The article was still pretty lacking in some information before I started editing it. It was interesting to see that the people who began the article did not add anything to it after their initial edits. Within my edits there were only two additional edits. Thankfully again, they did not change anything I wrote. They just added to the categories of the article. After my edits there is still plenty of information that can also be added. I am curious to see if the other people who added information will add anything more. I will probably be checking back in the history even though I am done editing the MGIC article to see if this happens. This article has great potential and maybe it will even be comparable to the corporate website. I also enjoyed editing this article and I am glad I chose it as one of my four articles to edit on Wikipedia!

No comments: