Monday, March 5, 2007

ClickZ article comment

I was looking through bloglines and I went to ClickZ Network's site. I came across an article by Dorian Sweet called Is User-Generated Video Poised to Flame Out?. I read this one because it talked about YouTube which has been mentioned in class a couple times. He firsts begins by talking about how YouTube is now going to pay people for the number of views that their videos get. Sweet is very cynical and does not believe that paying the people would make it better because there is still a greedy major force who is making a huge majority of the money. He uses a great analogy describing his thoughts saying "I never knew an art gallery to go big time unless its artists became hyper-famous."

He then goes into talking about how he thinks that some videos on YouTube may not actually be user-generated but may be made by the competitors. He uses the example of how he found a video bashing PlayStation3. This may have been from a competitor as a type of online marketing and not created by a user. Sweet makes sure to mention that this type of medium can be very useful and successful like Craigslist.org. He thinks that the YouTube trend may die down a little bit showing that having users be the marketing tool may not be the best idea. Sweet ends by warning online advertisers to be cautious and use their gut instinct when dealing with personal media.

I thought this was a very interesting article and I agree with him and I don't think it is fair that the owner's of YouTube are making money off of everyone contributing to their site. Compensating them for their videos seems like it will work as long as they follow through with that announcement. I also agree with how some videos may have been planted on the Internet by competitors as a form of advertising so I think it is important to not always believe what you see when you're not exactly who the source of something is.

No comments: